On Thursday, March 10, all Board members were in attendance to hear a sign-up delegation from Rob Painter who spoke on behalf of Point Pleasant Jr/Sr High School about the need for smoke detectors in the bathroom.
LSIC reports were then given by the following schools: Leon Elementary, Roosevelt Elementary, Point Pleasant Primary School, Point Pleasant Intermediate School, Point Pleasant Jr/Sr High School, and the Mason County Career Center. (Reports were given by Hannan Jr/Sr High School, Ashton Elementary and Beale Elementary during March 8).
In approvals, the Board approved the request from the Mason County Commission to add additional parking (tar and chip) near the Mason County Public Library - Hannan branch. All funding for this project will be provided by the Mason County Commission.
The Board also approved KFC in Gallipolis, Ohio as a Work-Based Learning business effective immediately through Sept. 30, 2011.
In other approvals:
• The Board approved the employment of Amy Pinkerton, Substitute teacher, for the 2010-2011 school year, effective March 14. County is the funding source. Pinkerton also was approved for employment as a Substitute Teacher-Alternative Education, pending certification, for the 2010-2011 school year, effective March 14, on an as-needed basis. County is the funding source.
• The Board approved the employment of Tracie Price, Alternative Education—One-on-One, for the 2010-2011 school year, effective March 14, on an as-needed basis. County is the funding source.
Comments at the end of the meeting were provided by Suzanne Dickens who stated, “Our thoughts go out to the family of our good friend, Lynn Durst, and to the young Point Pleasant Jr/Sr High School student who was injured in a tragic accident.”
Meeting — March 17
All Board members were present for the Thursday, March 17 Agenda #38 meeting. Tracey Connolly signed up for a delegation and spoke about the water situation in New Haven. Also taking the floor was Dr. Tom Many of Solution Tree Associate who talked to the BOE about Professional Learning Communities.
• The Board approved volunteers from Beale Elementary, Hannan Jr/Sr High School, Mason County Career Center, Point Pleasant Intermediate School, and Wahama Jr/Sr High School, for the 2010-2011 school year.
• The Board approved the contract with Ryan Chambers to work as a Substitute Sign Language Interpreter for the 2010-2011 school year. Special Education will be the funding source.
• The Board approved regular employee status for the following: Sally Darst, Feb. 22; Gloria Humphreys, Feb. 17; and Angela Maynard, Jan. 31.